Under the Canada Express Entry Program, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) oversee Immigrate To Canada as a Skilled Worker from around the world. Candidates are selected based on their scores relative to other applicants in the pool. They are then invited to submit a complete application for certain IRCC programs once they have received an invitation to apply for permanent residence.
The points system for the Federal Skilled Worker program assesses your skills, education, and work experience by taking a number of variables into account. The best candidates will have qualifications that are relevant to in-demand professions and which offer an advantage over other applicants. The selection criteria provide candidates with a government-approved job that offers something they can’t get anywhere else.
Advantages of applying for FSWP
There are many advantages to applying for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). The FSWP is a points-based program that assesses and selects skilled workers who are able to successfully establish themselves in Canada.
The FSWP gives applicants the ability to submit their Express Entry profile to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) system. Express Entry is an electronic system used by IRCC to manage applications for permanent residence from skilled workers. Under Express Entry, candidates are ranked against each other using a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The CRS ranks candidates based on factors such as age, education, work experience, and language skills.
The FSWP also allows applicants to submit their applications online, which makes the process more efficient and less paper-based. In addition, FSWP applicants who have an offer of arranged employment in Canada or who have been nominated by a province or territory will receive additional points under the CRS, which will increase their chances of being invited to apply for permanent residence.
If an applicant qualifies for the express entrance program, they can submit their profile for consideration. However, just being accepted into the pool does not guarantee that the applicant will get an ITA. They must score a required CRS for each application in order to receive one.
To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, a person must fulfill the following requirements:
- A skilled occupation that falls under NOC skill type 0, A, or B must have a minimum of one year of work experience within the previous 10 years.
- To be eligible, the candidate should have a minimum IELTS band score of six in each ability category or Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level seven (Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening.)
- In order to be eligible for hire, you need a level of education that at least meets the equivalent of a high school certificate in Canada. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is necessary for schooling achieved outside of Canada.
- Settlement funds are proof of the support you’ll need during your transition to Canada. Candidates must provide proof that they can provide for their needs, as well as those of any family members with them.
- The candidate needed to receive a minimum of 67 points on the FSWP point grid in order to be considered.
The process to apply as a skilled worker
In 2022, you can apply for a Canada permanent residence Visa by following the steps listed below:
1. You’ll also need to verify eligibility for a Canada PR visa under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP).
2. In order to submit an express profile, you need the following documents:
- One document to prove your identity (such as a passport)
- Results of language tests like an IELTS scorecard
- Achieving ECA Certification
3. A candidate will need to do all of those things in addition to submitting their application.
4. If a candidate’s CRS score doesn’t meet the minimal requirement, they must focus on improving the components outlined below.
5. If the candidate’s score falls within the CRS cut-off, they will receive an ITA. Within 60 days of receiving it, they must submit their completed application to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada together with any necessary papers.
6. Applicants are required to provide a medical certificate and PCC when applying for the vetting, or “security clearance.”
7. When the application has been evaluated, the applicant will next be advised by an immigration officer if more information is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can an individual apply directly for permanent residency under the FSWP?
Yes, an individual can apply directly for permanent residency under the FSWP. However, they must first meet the eligibility requirements, which include having at least one year of full-time work experience in a skilled occupation (as classified by the National Occupational Classification), being able to speak English or French at a Canadian Language Benchmark level of 7, and have completed a post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in length. If an individual meets these requirements, they can then submit an online application through the Express Entry system.
How can I improve my Express Entry CRS score for the FSWP?
Among the ways to raise your score are: Get every CRS point you’re entitled to. List your spouse or partner as the principal candidate if they have a better CRS score than you do (if applicable). For your language test, study diligently. If you need to retake the exam, do so to achieve a satisfactory score. Try to get a job offer that qualifies or a provincial nomination. To learn more about how to improve your Express Entry CRS score, click here.
How many immigrants are accepted into Canada each year through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)?
Express Entry is the main way IRCC welcomes new skilled workers and the FSWP is among three skilled worker programs managed under Express Entry. By 2024, Canada hopes to accept over 110,000 new immigrants via Express Entry. The majority of these immigrants enter the country through the Canadian Experience Class and FSWP programs.