Book an Appointment

Sponsor your Family to Immigrate to Canada

Have you ever dreamed of living in Canada? Do you have family members who are looking to make a new home there? If your answer is yes, then you should consider sponsoring them to immigrate to Canada. Immigration sponsorship is a process whereby Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their family members to live and work in the country. This process is complicated and often requires the help of an immigration lawyer or consultant. In this blog post, we will look at the basics of how to sponsor your family to immigrate to Canada, including who is eligible and how long it takes. We’ll also discuss the advantages of having your family members apply for permanent residence in Canada versus applying for temporary residence.

What is Canadian family sponsorship?

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, it is possible for you to sponsor certain family members who are related by blood or marriage, provided they do not have their own dependants. To gain their permanent resident visa, the sponsored family member must pass an eligibility test and a medical examination. Upon becoming a permanent resident, they will gain most of the same rights and responsibilities of as citizens.

Who can sponsor their family to come to Canada?

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your spouse, partner, children, parents, grandparents, or other relatives to come to Canada as permanent residents. You must be 18 years of age or older and you must meet certain income requirements.

If you are sponsoring your spouse or partner, you must have been married for at least one year or be in a common-law relationship for at least two years. You will also need to provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and that you live together. If your spouse or partner has dependent children, they must also be included in the sponsorship application.

If you are sponsoring your child, they must be under the age of 22 and not married or in a common-law relationship. If they are over the age of 22 but still dependent on you financially, they may still qualify as dependent.

If you are sponsoring your parent or grandparent, they must be 65 years of age or older. You will need to prove that you can support them financially and that they will not rely on social assistance while in Canada.

What are the income requirements to sponsor?

Sponsorship Agreements must be signed by you and your sponsored family member as a sponsor. You are committing to provide financial support for the person you are sponsoring’s basic needs (food, clothing, shelter, and health needs not covered by public health services).

It is also necessary to meet or exceed the Low Income Cut-off (LICO) for certain types of sponsorships, for example:

  • Your spouse or partner has a dependent child who has one or more children of their own, or
  • If you sponsor a child with one or more dependent children, or if
  • Sponsoring a parent or grandparent is your responsibility.

The Quebec immigration ministry will assess your income if you reside in Quebec and meet the sponsorship requirements.

How to Apply for Family Sponsorship

Step 1: To become a sponsor, you must first meet the eligibility criteria.

Step 2: Make sure the relatives you intend to sponsor meet the eligibility requirements.

Step 3: You will need to apply to the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on a federal level and, if you live in Quebec, to the Ministry of Immigration, Francization, and Integration (MIFI) on a provincial level. Your sponsorship application and those of your family or relatives must be submitted together. Once your PR application has been considered eligible to sponsor, it will be reviewed.

Step 4: You will have to pay a fee for the family sponsorship application.

Step 5: Send your application to the correct address. You can find this information on the government’s website in the sponsorship guide.

The different types of family members that can be sponsored

There are many different types of family members that can be sponsored in order to immigrate to Canada. These include:

-Common-law or conjugal partners
Dependent children, including adopted children
Parents and grandparents

Each of these family members has different requirements that must be met in order for them to be eligible for sponsorship. For example, spouses must be 18 years of age or older, and common-law partners must have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.

Dependent children must be under the age of 22 and not married or in a common-law relationship. They must also depend on their parents for financial support. Parents and grandparents must be 65 years of age or older.

If you are interested in sponsoring a family member to come to Canada, it is important to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer who can help you determine if your loved one meets the requirements for sponsorship.


Sponsoring family to immigrate to Canada is a great way for them to obtain permanent residence status in the country and start a new life. Although the process can be long and complex, it’s worth considering if you have family members who are interested in coming to Canada. With careful planning and research, this process can bring relatives together while allowing them an opportunity to enjoy all that Canada has to offer. If you’re considering sponsoring your family, make sure you understand all of the requirements involved so that they get approved quickly and easily!

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from - Youtube
Consent to display content from - Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from - Google
Consent to display content from - Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from - Sound
Get Free Assessment
Service Menu
Quick Links
Book an Appointment