Book an Appointment

Sponsoring Your Dependent Child to Canada

What is Dependent Child Sponsorship?

Providing sponsorship of dependent children through Family sponsorship allows family members who live in different countries to be reunited and live together in Canada. In particular, the program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to bring their children from abroad to Canada as permanent residents.

In Canada, dependent children, whether biological or adopted, can be sponsored to live with their parents as permanent residents.

Am I Eligible to Sponsor my Child?

If you wish to sponsor your child to come to Canada, you must:

  • be at least 18 years old;
  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident living in Canada, or a person registered under the Indian Act of Canada;
  • be provide for your basic needs and those of your dependent children and spouse, if applicable;
  • be able to prove your relationship with your child
  • having no criminal record;
  • Not be in prison, not be charged with a serious crime, and not be bankrupt;
  • previous sponsorship undertaking must not be in default;
  • be ineligible for income assistance, except in the case of disability.

Does my Child Qualify for Sponsorship?

Children must meet the definition of a dependant in order to qualify for sponsorship:

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident’s biological or adopted child;
  • Do not have a spouse or common-law partner;
  • Under the age of 22.

A child over the age of 22 may also qualify as a dependent if they meet the following two criteria:

  • A physical or mental condition prevents them from supporting themselves;
  • Since before the age of 22, they have relied on their parents for financial support.

The eligibility requirements for Sponsoring a Child

Sponsors will be required to sign an “undertaking” that commits them to provide for their child’s basic needs, such as:

  • housing;
  • clothing;
  • food;
  • medical expenses not provided by the public health system.

The duration of the undertaking for biologically dependent children or those to be adopted in Canada who are under 22 years of age is 10 years or until they reach 25 years of age, whichever comes first. It takes 3 years to undertake dependent children over the age of 22.

The process of sponsoring a Child for Immigration Work?

When you apply to sponsoring a child in Canada, you will need to complete four steps:

1. You can obtain an application package on the government’s website; it contains instructions and forms to help you complete the process.

2. Pay the online application fee, which includes the processing fee for all persons included in the application, the right of permanent residence fee, the biometric fee, and any other third-party fees.

3. Follow the submission instructions in the guide you downloaded to submit your application.

4. submit the required supporting documents to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


Sponsoring a dependent child to Canada can be an incredibly rewarding experience for both the sponsor and the sponsored child. It is important to remember, however, that there are numerous requirements and paperwork necessary in order to complete the sponsorship process. We hope this article has provided you with a better understanding of what is involved in sponsoring your dependent child to come live with you in Canada. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact us and one of our knowledgeable representatives will be happy to assist you!

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from - Youtube
Consent to display content from - Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from - Google
Consent to display content from - Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from - Sound
Get Free Assessment
Service Menu
Quick Links
Book an Appointment