Book an Appointment

Sponsor Your Parents And Grandparents To Canada

Canada’s Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP)

Canada’s new family immigration category allows citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents or grandparents through the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP).

Permanent residents of Canada, including sponsored parents and grandparents, have many benefits. This includes the rights to live and work in Canada without restriction on location, time, or sector; public-funded health care and other services; and even citizenship.

The Canadian government plans to admit around 25,000 new permanent residents every year through the PGP.

Canada’s Family Class immigration category is available to citizens and permanent residents of Canada who wish to sponsor their parent(s) or grandparent(s) through the Parent and Grandparent Program, also known as PGP.

Recently, Canada welcomed thousands of sponsored parents and grandparents. This new program makes multi-year residents of Canada, who get all the benefits that come with it. This includes freedom to live and work anywhere in the country without restriction, access to publicly-funded healthcare, and more. Ultimately, these individuals can become Canadian citizens.

In the government of Canada’s multi-year immigration plan, there will be up to 25,000 new permanent residents admitted annually through the PGP.

Eligibility for Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents in Canada

Be sure to meet these specific requirements in order to sponsor your own parents and grandparents:

  1. You are 18 or older.
  2. You’re currently residing in Canada
  3. You must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or someone who is listed as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
  4. You must have enough money to support the people you want to sponsor, and you must provide proof of this.

Who you might be able to sponsor

You may sponsor your parents and grandparents, as well as any other family members related by blood or adoption.

Even if they’re divorced or separated, you can still sponsor your parents and grandparents-in-law, even if they don’t live with you.

Dependent children are defined as persons who are legally related to you and rely on you for financial support. If your siblings or half-siblings meet this criterion, they may be included in your application.

If you choose to sponsor more than one individual, you must meet the income requirements. You are also permitted to sponsor their dependents.

All applicants must also meet a series of requirements, including completed eligibility forms. These include medical certifications and each applicant’s fingerprints.

Prepare everything you need to fill out the interest to sponsor form

In order to sponsor your parents or grandparents to immigrate to Canada, you must first fill out an interest to sponsor form. This form is available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Before you begin filling out the form, you will need to gather some information about your sponsor and their family members. This includes their full name, date of birth, current address, and contact information. You will also need to provide information about your own finances, including your income and assets.

Once you have gathered all of the required information, you can begin filling out the interest to sponsor form. The form asks for basic personal information about both the sponsor and their family members. You will also be asked to provide financial information and sign a declaration that you meet the sponsorship requirements.

After you have submitted the interest to sponsor form, you will be placed on a waiting list. Once your application has been processed, you will be contacted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada with instructions on how to proceed with the sponsorship process.

Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP)Process of sponsoring my parents or grandparents

If you want to sponsor your parents or grandparents to come to Canada, you must first be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You also need to prove that you can support them financially.

To start the sponsorship process, you must complete an online application. Once the application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with further instructions.

The next step is to gather all of the required documents and submit them to the visa office handling your case. The documents you need include:

-A completed sponsorship application form
-Your proof of status in Canada (e.g., birth certificate, citizenship certificate, permanent resident card)
-Your proof of income (e.g., pay stubs, tax returns)
-An up-to-date police clearance certificate
-A medical exam report (if required)

After you have submitted all of the required documentation, the visa office will review your case and make a decision. If your sponsorship application is approved, your parents or grandparents will receive a permanent resident visa and be able to come to Canada.

Can I sponsor my parents and grandparents if I live in Quebec?

Yes. If IRCC approves you as a sponsor, you’ll need to meet the Quebec government’s immigration sponsorship requirements. They’ll also assess your income. Then, you’ll sign another sponsorship undertaking with the province before IRCC approves your final application.

Individuals are unable to sponsor a parent or grandparent if they meet the following criteria:

  • The minimum age to use Freakler is 18.
  • When applying to sponsor the parent and/or grandparent, they will not live in Canada when the application is reviewed
  • To be eligible for sponsorship, an applicant’s primary residential address must be in Canada at the time of applying and until a decision on their application is made.
  • You are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian.
  • Are a temporary resident who is in Canada on a visa or permit to visit, study, or work;
  • Have an application for permanent residency that is still being processed
  • A potential sponsor must be a permanent resident at the time of submitting the sponsorship application.
  • Cannot provide proof of income demonstrating that they have the required Minimum Necessary Income

Those who may not be eligible to sponsor a parent or grandparent include:

  • If you’re in jail, prison, or penitentiary,
  • Did not pay back an immigrant loan
  • They agreed to sponsor a relative in the past, and then they didn’t fulfill their financial commitment to this agreement
  • Have declared bankruptcy, but not yet discharged
  • Receive social assistance for something other than a disability

In some cases, IRCC may have additional reasons for considering a person ineligible to sponsor their parents or grandparents.

Can I sponsor my parents and grandparents if they have a serious medical condition?

If a Canadian government official determines that you are not permitted to enter the country on health grounds, they will not be allowed to enter Canada and they will be removed from the country:

  • poses a risk to public health
  • endangers the public’s safety
  • placing an excessive burden on healthcare or social services

About Cougar Immigration

Cougar Immigration has grown into one of the world’s top-ranked immigration law firms, trusted by millions of people each year. Each year, visitors from around the world come to Cougar Immigration for help with immigrating to Canada and settling here permanently.

Cougar Immigration is a leading Canadian immigration law firm, with experienced and dedicated staff who have helped clients sponsor family members for years. We have over decades of experience and we’re proud to say that we’ve helped countless Canadians successfully submit their applications.


Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Consent to display content from - Youtube
Consent to display content from - Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from - Google
Consent to display content from - Spotify
Sound Cloud
Consent to display content from - Sound
Get Free Assessment
Service Menu
Quick Links
Book an Appointment