Ontario Trucking Industry Benefits From Changes To Provincial Immigration Stream
Ontario’s trucking industry is benefitting from a recent change made to the province’s Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream.
The NOC code for transport truck drivers (7511) was one of three occupations added to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program stream in July 2019.
It means that experienced truck drivers with a job offer in Ontario can now get provincial support in obtaining Canadian permanent residence.
Canada’s trucking industry faces a huge challenge with staffing shortages, finding it difficult to attract a younger generation of drivers into the occupation.
As part of the July changes, Canada’s most populous province also reduced the work experience requirement through the stream, to nine months within the last three years.
Previously, candidates were required to have 12 months of work experience in the last three years.
The In-Demand Skills Stream changes are part of a raft of new proposals announced in the Ontario budget in April.
After a public consultation that ended on May 30, 2019, Ontario confirmed the changes in an OINP announcement on July 8, 2019.
The other two occupations added to the stream in July 2019 were:
- NOC 3413: Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
- NOC 4412: Home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers
Eligible Occupations For The In-Demand Skills Stream
|National Occupations Classification||Job Title|
|NOC 3413||Nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates|
|NOC 4412||Home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers|
|NOC 7441||Residential and commercial installers and servicers|
|NOC 7511||Transport truck drivers|
|NOC 7521||Heavy equipment operators (except crane)|
|NOC 8431||General farm workers|
|NOC 8432||Nursery and greenhouse workers|
|NOC 8611||Harvesting labourers|
|NOC 7611||Construction trades helpers and labourers|
|NOC 9462||Industrial butchers, meat cutters, poultry preparers, related workers|
Requirements For The In-Demand Skills Stream
This stream targets candidates with specific skilled in-demand in Ontario. To qualify, applicants must have:
- A permanent and full-time job offer under certain occupations in the agriculture or construction sector and meets the median wage in Ontario for the occupation and in a position that is necessary to the business.
- For those already working in the position, the proposed wage must be equal or greater than the current wage being paid.
- 9 months of cumulative work experience in the last three years in one of the eligible occupations. Experience must be paid and full-time, or the equivalent amount in part-time work in Ontario.
- Seasonal work does not count.
Equivalentof Canadian high school education or higher.
- Valid certificate or license at the time of application for any claimed work experience that requires it.
- Minimum CLB/NCLC 4 in English or French in all language competencies.
- Sufficient funds and/or income in Ontario to cover settlement costs for you and your family members.
- Live abroad, or be working, studying or visiting Canada on a valid permit;
- Intention to settle in Ontario.